PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE – INFORMATION
Please ensure you read this important workshop information and contact us for any further inquiries.
This information is a guide and may be subject to change.
About your teachers
This Permaculture Design Course will be taught by various educators specialising in the course topics and subjects, offering a diversity of experiential hands-on learning and in-class sessions covering the theory. Learn more about our teaching team who have presented in previous courses.
Dates & Schedule
The course dates are yet to be confirmed although it will be during the Queensland school holidays.
Yoga from 6-7 am every morning
Breakfast 8:00 am
Morning Circle 8:30 am
The class starts at 9 am
1.5 hour in-class sessions, be it theory, group learning or practicals.
30 minute morning and afternoon tea and refreshments
1 hour for lunch at midday
Free time after 5 pm daily
Dinner served at 7 pm (6 pm for youngsters)
Evening 'special guest' talk and film screening (optional attendance)
More information will be provided with a complete course outline prior to the course commencing.
Camping is available onsite at the Cairns Hinterland Steiner school (unless location changes). Various camping sites will be allocated on arrival day - please note in the registration form the area you prefer (family, quiet or non-family areas). There is no power at the campsites, however, power boards will be available for charging personal electronic devices. *Location may change and you will be informed in advance.
- Bring your own camping equipment and linen.
- Camping is only permitted on the dates from 12 June to July 7th.
- Toilets will be available and showers facilities.
If you prefer not to camp, you will need to organise your own accommodation. It is sometimes difficult to find alternative accommodation in Kuranda, so please look at your options sooner than later. Try Air BNB or the Kuranda Rainforest Park.
Deposit and payment plans
If you choose the payment plan option, a $500 deposit is required to secure your place. Please Contact us for the payment plan agreement and account details if you choose this payment option.
Note: Invoices will be emailed and the balance of payment is due 30 days prior to the course start date. If the payment balance is not received by two weeks before the course start date (unless otherwise arranged), your booking will be cancelled and the deposit forfeited.
Discounts & Payment Options.
To receive the early bird or couples discounts, the total amount must be paid in full.
Payment is paid by direct deposit or cash with the invoice provided upon registration.
Cancellation and Refunds Policy
A non-refundable deposit of $500 is payable upon registration.
Further refunds can be provided as follows:
- Cancellation prior to 30 days, of course, start date: A refund, minus the $500 deposit fee can be given back to you if you provide your cancellation in writing 30 days prior to the course start date.
- Cancellations within 30 days before the start of the course date: no refund can be provided. In the case of health reasons (doctors certificate required) or an 'act of god/ess', a Credit Note will be issued to use towards future courses with a 1-year expiry date.
If you are unable to make this course, you are welcome to put it towards one of our future courses, or we encourage you to pass on your place to a nominated person, perhaps a family or friend member so they can make the most of this opportunity.
On tour days where visit various properties for some hands-on learning. These days may be longer than 9 am - 5 pm, with extra travel time (earlier starts and later returns). Meals will be provided.
During the middle of the course, there is a 'free day' to break from learning and relax in whatever way you feel inspired too. You may wish to explore during the day to Kuranda 'the village in the rainforest'or visit the various destinations around the Atherton Tablelands or Cairns. Our favourite is Davies creek in Dindin National park.
The Cairns Hinterland Steiner school is the venue (unless it changes) with inspiring permaculture gardens and examples of natural building. The address is 46 Boyles Rd, Kuranda QLD 4872 which is approximately 50 minutes from the Cairns Airport.
Delicious and nutritious meals will be served for breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner, to keep you focused and energised. All ingredients will be sourced as locally and organically sourced as possible. Please inform us if you have special diet requirements. Inform us of any dietary requirements you have when you register.
Tea/coffee and cold refreshments will be available throughout the course.
Arriving and departure time
Relevant information regarding times will be sent in the information pack.
You will be responsible for your own transportation to and from the course. During the course, a tour bus will be available, or you may drive your own car (carpooling encouraged). Airport transfers can be arranged, just ask us!
Social media, photography and videography
You will be invited to join the Facebook group to connect before; to get to know one another, and maybe even organise shared transport if possible. Please tell us a little about yourselves in the group. You can also find out more about us via our Facebook Page and Instagram. We are extremely fortunate to have videographers taking part in the course who have offered their skills to document this journey. If you would prefer to not be on camera, simply let us know upon arrival.
Please note visitors are not allowed to hang around the venue while you are in the course due to security reasons.
Unfortunately, pets are not allowed on site. It is a wildlife protection zone which means even the most well behaved four-legged and feathered friends are unable to stay.
We are passionate about extending this permaculture design learning to families, with parents able to learn whilst children are in care within the school (in the early childhood classroom and playground). Children can attend from age 4+ and will be participating in their own learning (curriculum about the ethics and principles) in a playful and engaging way from 8:45 am to 5:15 pm each day, except during the day off when they will be required to be with parents.
What to bring with you (packing list):
The days may be warm and the nights/ early mornings will be cool, so pack according to your comfort level. It is mid-winter, so pack accordingly for winter in the subtropics.
- Work and casual (weather appropriate) clothes – considering you will be getting dirty, leave your good clothes at home. It will be mid-winter here which does get quite cool, especially in the early mornings.
- Sturdy boots to protect your digits & casual flip flops
- Personal toiletries. IMP: Please bring only natural/ organic shampoos, condi8oners and soaps. Water from our toilets
- and sinks go to feed our plants. If you cannot buy these from where you are, we will have some for sale here
- Yoga clothes (op8onal)
- Water bottle.
- Swimming clothes
- Towel to wash with as it is likely you will get dirty!
- Sun hat & sunglasses
- Sunscreen & mozzie repellant
- Lightweight rain jacket or poncho
- Pen, paper and camera for taking notes
- Camping gear including essential items such as tent, swag, hammock, sleeping bag, warm blankets, mat, cuddly bear, etc.
- Day pack - small, light bag with shoulder straps. Should hold a water bottle, camera, book or journal and anything else you need for excursions
- A hearty appetite for learning and doing
- Camera: Remember if you have a rechargeable battery, you need the appropriate adapter.
- Computer/iPad/phone: You may bring a computer, iPad or any other device if you would like to have it with you during the course
- Workbook, journal, pens, ruler, rubber, sharpener and other basic stationery. We will have some extra available but please bring your own
We will send you an email with your pre-arrival pack information so you have all the info you need to be prepared for the intensive journey into Permaculture Design.
Now that you have read the important workshop information, please register your details and purchase a suitable ticket fee to secure your position in the course.